After going through successful teeth whitening, what else can you do to keep your pearly whites, well, pearly white? Just follow these tips correctly within the first 48 hours:
Avoid the Following Foods and Drinks
Any food or drink that’s colourful or dark should be out of your diet:
- Coffee, tea, or caffeinated beverages: Beginning your day with coffee or tea can be an important part of your morning routine, but it is important to consider the impact these beverages have on your teeth. These drinks can cause discoloration of your teeth.
An alternative to drinking coffee or tea is to use warm water instead. You can also visit a dental professional for advice and recommendations. To reduce the risk of staining teeth, drink warm milk and use white yogurt instead of coffee or tea.
- Dark sauces: Sauces are a great way to flavour your food. However, be mindful of the type of sauce you choose. Dark-coloured dips and flavourings like soy, pasta, and barbecue sauce can damage your teeth if consumed frequently.
Instead, these white sauces and foods are preferable:
- White rice.
- White pasta.
- White cheese.
- Peeled potatoes.
- Acidic foods and drinks: Eating acidic foods like oranges, lemons, and other citrus fruits may make food taste better but can cause problems for your teeth. The sour flavour can weaken the enamel on your teeth. After visiting the dentist for teeth whitening, it’s important to maintain the whiteness by avoiding acidic foods. Follow your dentist’s advice on the best ways to keep your teeth healthy and white.
Sour fruit juices, such as lemons, oranges, mandarin, and lime, contain acids that can stain your teeth if consumed in large amounts. A 2017 study found that drinking too much of these juices can lead to dental problems like tooth erosion, cavities, and enamel softening. Be aware of this and watch out for other fruits, which can also affect your teeth.
- Anything dark-coloured: Dark chocolate can affect the colour of your teeth. As dark chocolate contains caffeine, it has the potential to stain your teeth. If you are worried about how your teeth may be affected, you should ask your dentist for advice on which type of chocolate to choose.
Instead, Maintain Whiteness with These Habits
- Drink with straws: Using a straw when drinking beverages can help protect your teeth from staining, as the liquid will go straight to your throat instead of your teeth.
- Brush and floss regularly: Floss your teeth daily to maintain your teeth’s whiteness. Brush twice daily or after every meal with regular toothpaste.
- Start using whitening toothpaste: There is a wide selection of toothpaste to choose from. If you are still determining which is right, it’s best to consult your dentist for assistance. For extra whitening, use a whitening toothpaste once or twice a week.
- Rinse after eating and drinking: Always rinse your mouth after eating or drinking anything, and keep antiseptic mouthwash handy to rinse your mouth.
As We Close
While teeth whitening does provide the shiniest-looking pearl whites you’ve ever seen, you can easily ruin its progress by eating or drinking anything colourful, dark, or staining. Remember these tips to keep them as white as possible and leave a lasting impression whenever you smile!
Book an Appointment with Us Today
Visit Pickering Dental Services for the best dental care for you and your family. Schedule an appointment right now for Pickering teeth whitening with the experts who care for the Toronto Maple Leafs’ oral health! Call 905-420-1777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.