Every year, millions of people around the world are affected by periodontal disease or gum disease. In fact, it is one of the leading causes of tooth loss among adults. One major concern is that most people do not realize that they have gum disease until they experience severe pain or they actually loose teeth. This is because there are very few symptoms of gum disease, especially in its early stages.
How Does Gum Disease Begin?
The problem starts when bacteria build up between teeth and along the gum line. As this happens, very few symptoms – if any- are visible or are felt. When bacteria continue to multiply, they can cause the gums to pull away from teeth. When the gum recedes, more of the tooth gets exposed to plaque and bacteria get even closer to the root as they get below the gum line. It is at this stage that tooth loss can happen.
When gum disease reaches an advanced stage, it may still be treated but the treatments would be more extensive and much more costly. It is therefore important that it gets caught as early as possible. Visiting your trusted dentist at Pickering Square Dental regularly is the best way to know for sure that your teeth and gums are healthy.
There are also a number of signs and symptoms that tell you that you need to see a periodontist:
* Gums are swollen, red, and bleeding, especially when you are brushing your teeth and flossing.
* Gums are receding. There may also be deep pockets between teeth and gums.
* There is an unpleasant taste in the mouth which tends to return even after you brush your teeth.
* You have chronic bad breath.
* Your teeth are moving and shifting out of their former alignment. They may also feel loose.
* You feel pressure or even pain when you are eating. This is because when there is infection around the tooth root, the pressure caused by biting food and chewing can result in discomfort or even pain.
* Your teeth are more sensitive to hot or cold food and beverages than usual. You feel more sensitivity as more of the roots of your teeth are exposed.
If you are noticing one or more of these symptoms, you should make an appointment with Pickering Square Dental so we can evaluate the condition of your teeth and gums. Remember that early detection is the key to fighting gum disease and saving your teeth!